Wednesday, June 25, 2014

MARGITSZIGET ISLAND - Day 9 traveler's art blog by North Carolina Painter Sue Scoggins



Back in the city for a soft landing, I made a visit to Margitsziget Island.  It's like New York's Central Park and right in the middle of the Danube across from the apartment.  At times, I can hear the music and sounds of little children at play.  There is a zoo, a Hungarian bath, an exclusive hotel and spa at the far end, and acres of gardens, fields and walkways.


So often I've wondered where all the children were.  This is the city and for the first few days, I hardly ever saw any children.  Well, I found them.  Hundreds of them.  I found families, couples both young and old, men reading books, girls sunbathing, European tourists,  old women walking old women, people riding bikes, kids riding scooters.....


The main attraction was around the dancing water fountain.  I didn't know it would dance.  But, I found a little empty bench nearby, sat down with my ink pencils and pad, thinking it would be a good place to do some sketching.  Little by little I noticed a group of school boys with soccer balls and backpacks come and sit in a row on the curb in front of me.  A grandmother came with her two year old sitting in a stroller.  Three young girls, in their tattered jean shorts, sat with their feet in the fountain.  People were happily anticipating something special.





All of a sudden, with a cling and a clash, the loudspeaker came on with symphonies of classical music and the fountain started dancing.  I couldn't sit.  I had to rise up!  The music was wonderful and  the energy all around became electric.  The sound of water slapping to the downbeat made my heart pound, mommies and babies swirled in dance steps around the sidewalk and daddies took pictures of little girls climbing the huge Hungarian trees.



I spent the whole day there.  I couldn't leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment