Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Road to New Bern, revisited - by North Carolina Painter, Sue Scoggins

There's another show coming up.  This will be the third this year.  I feel like a machine. In order not to get burned out, it takes new venues, new subjects, and new techniques to get me all lit up again.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is find new subjects or a new story to paint.  It seems I've been painting wildflowers since the day I was born.  There will be plenty of them at the October show at the Little Art Gallery in Raleigh, October 10th.  It is so much fun, slinging the paint on in the beginning, Jackson Pollock style, then carving out those little peeps of blooms that are hiding in the middle of all the chaos.   But it's time for something new lest those wildflowers start to wilt.

Today, I decided I would paint over an old painting. The intention was to have another "subject" at the show. So often those beginnings turn out to be the best paintings!  While  perusing through some old images, I remembered the painting "Road to New Bern".  Every time I would go to see my husband, who was ill at the time, in New Bern, I would pass this old barn.  I had the barn on my mind. With all the colors of the painting still in tact, I decided to put paint on very thick with a pallet knife but let the random colors of the old painting show through in little peeps.  I began with large swipes of white paint for the roof of the barn.


Basically, the rest of the painting was surrounding the white barn with color.  
Lots of crazy combinations of thalo blue, pthalo green, and indian yellow.  Juicy color.  Pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment