Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Art of Making Art - by Sue Scoggins, North Carolina Painter

Enough of talking about my days off….it’s time to get back to the artist in residency part. I had the most delightful student today.  Besides the fact that she was 50 and I thought she was 26….I was tempted to throw black paint all over her canvas….but…I restrained myself. 

The studio is open all day.  From 7:30 to 7:30.  Georgio, the peacock, quite often waits by the door. The weather is so beautiful in the wee hours of the morning and late evening. That’s when I paint. I read, write and nap in the middle of the day.  Getting this European life style down pretty good. Even getting the hairpin turns down pretty good, but we won’t  talk about that. 

Haley, from the UK, was the perfect student. She approached me yesterday for a lesson, saying she wanted to learn about color and oils.  She loves abstract!  YAY!  Just the right person to share art with. She had a degree in photography, already had the eye, knew about focal points,  light and darks. She wanted to learn how to layer.  I was ecstatic!

The first thing we did was wipe magenta all over the canvas.  Then orange.  Then yellow.  We could hardly contain ourselves when unimaginable colors came to light  and set the tone for a beautiful sunset.  Shapes occurred out of nothing.  Then I gave her some terped phalo blue and magenta…she added drips…moved her canvas from side to side..…before she knew it there were mountain ranges. Then we laid it aside to dry for the day. 


SO COOL!!!!!!!

For the rest of the time we experimented with making colors.  New colors out of only 5 basic colors..plus white.  Dominant, complimentary and spice colors…every color in the rainbow could be made out of those colors. There ya have it.  Our time was finished. Boo!

Now she knew the basics to go home with.  Buy just those 5 colors, two brushes, a pallet knife and finish up her masterpiece.  I can’t wait to see how it turns out.  Bellisimo!!!!  New art.  Better than that…a new friend. 

Ponytail hair for 26m days
Georgio



No comments:

Post a Comment