Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My First City Scape - by North Carolina Painter, Sue Scoggins

Call me crazy.  We had a "winter storm" in North Carolina last night...which amounted to a beautiful dusting of snow and frigid temperatures....So...What does a painter do on a cold wintery day?  Take a guess.

Hmm.  Could be celebrating Fat Tuesday. Could be playing in the snow with my grandchildren (if I wanted to try driving on ice.  NOT)...Could be making chili (but cooking is way overrated when you live alone).....or possibly sitting in my warm comfy living room reading  a book..(but that would put me to sleep)... NO!

I'm painting.

This morning, as the sun was rising, this was the view out my window.
  Of course, this image was just the beginning and it became stuck in my head.  That's what happens to painters, ya know.   Pacing back and forth in front of the 9 foot wall of windows I could see, through the overcast sky, the city of Raleigh beginning to take on color.

So, I chose to take a huge painting, 3ft by 5 ft, ...previously painted...and completely distroy it!..Distroy it and create something new!

I tried to create a sophisticated monochromatic city scape...but couldn't!  The color from the underpainting created depth as I laid pinks and Indian yellow in the sky. Can't help but be addicted to color. It's just who I am and I can't help it.  I was born this way!  Once on a roll, I had to scoot my easel around the room to get all the buildings and avoid any direct sunlight coming in the windows. Can't you just envision it?  A "rolling" painting.  Glad the floor wasn't down hill.  Whee!!!  Kind of funny. The paint was laid on, then scraped off.  Adjustments were continually made as the city took shape. The painting took a total of 8-10 hours...on my feet....non stop.  No food...no break (accept the potty).  I was in the zone.  No phone calls....only two text messages...total concentration.  (Not to mention the distroyed hours of the previous underpainting...that took hours upon hours....only be painted over)  Thus....my first city scape.  Still a few touch ups left to do...but pretty much completed.


The Light's On
36-48 oil (upon oil upon oil)

Hope you like it!












No comments:

Post a Comment