Saturday, August 2, 2014

CHERRIES! THOSE CHERRIES! - a traveling art blog by Sue Scoggins



Did you know that the city of Aix was formed in 120 BC.  Seriously?????  The new part of the city is 400 years old.  That's the NEW part.  Mind boggling!!!

Like I said in an early post, this city is like a machine...markets in the morning, cafes in the afternoons.  Every day the farmers come in at dawn, set up under their umbrellas, sell their produce then close up at 12:30. I've loved the markets so much that I just had to paint those cherries. Fresh vegetables and fruits, goat cheese, lavender, tapenades, mounds of garlic cloves, olives....and fish....oh those fish!  After an organized  "Taste of Provence" market tour with two young couples, one from Poland and one from Switzerland, market paintings were popping out of my head.  There is something freeing about being old.....I don't care about what people think...so I ask questions and make comments.  I taste and I ooh and ahhh.  And I buy, not one....but three...something for each of my kids.  I'm not shy anymore. These couples probably thought I was a loony tunes....I thought they were adorable!

The tour guide was absolutely MORE than expected, giving us the perfect "tastes" with the quality vendors in the markets.  We began with the Patisserie Bechard tasting pastries, then moved to a chocolaterie, a spice vendor with tastes of  spices, chutneys, olives, then watched as coffee beans roasted and finished with a macaroon shop.  Everything is from local farmers.  Such a privilege! I've been back to the coffee roasting cafe many times since then for my expresso noisette.  It's the perfect spot to people watch in the afternoons.

It's almost too much to take in.   BUT I'LL TRY!




No comments:

Post a Comment